Aside from great sausage there is no other traditional German food I appreciate more than red cabbage! This classic side is the perfect combination of sweet and tart, with a hint of savoriness from the bacon. Not only perfect with sausage, but try this recipe along side a Roast Loin of Pork or Pot Roast.
Red Cabbage (Rotkohl) Recipe
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 1 Apple (peeled, cored, diced)
- 8 oz. Bacon, diced
- 1 Medium head Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup White vinegar
- 1/3 cup Red Wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a large pot with a lid, cook onion and bacon until done, but not too crisp.
- Add remaining ingredients and cover, cook for about 1 hour over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Check to make sure red cabbage is nice and tender, if not cook a little longer. Best served warm, but can also be served cold.