In my house pizza has always been a quick and enjoyable go to meal. This recipe is very simple and easy to prepare, naturally feel free to experiment with any of our Brats as your toppings!
Flammkuchen (German Pizza)
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, plus more for sautéing onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 onion, sliced or diced
- 1 package pizza dough
- Shredded Smoked Gouda cheese
- Any variety of Bratwurst for topping
- Olive oil for brushing
- I use a creamy bechamel sauce as a base layer:
- In a pan over medium heat melt 1 ½ tablespoons butter (do not let it get brown)
- Whisk in 1 ½ tablespoons All Purpose flour creating a paste
- Slowly, but at a steady pace, whisk in 1 cup whole milk, heating for 2-3 minutes.
- Slice or dice (whichever you prefer) an onion and saute in a little butter
- On a standard baking sheet, lightly coat with olive oil and form out the pizza dough. I get ours from a local pizza shop, but I've also seen them in the Frozen Food section of the supermarket.
- Pre-heat oven to 475 deg.
- Next lightly spoon bechamel onto dough, leaving about a 1" edge around perimeter. Then spread onions, diced Brats, and shredded smoked Gouda cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is nice and golden.