To Germans, sauerkraut is serious business! It's not just a condiment or topping, but literally part of the meal. My grandmother's recipe used in our restaurants has made sauerkraut lovers out of many. Seasoned with onions, caraway, bacon and fresh apples, we are sure you will agree, this is no push-cart Kraut!
Bavarian-Style Sauerkraut Recipe
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 8 oz. Bacon, diced
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Caraway Seed or Ground Caraway if you prefer
- 32oz. Sauerkraut
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- Over medium heat, sauté Bacon (not too crisp) and drain.
- Add onion, cook until translucent.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse Sauerkraut in a colander and remove excess water.
- Add Sauerkraut to Bacon and Onion along with remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.